4-Hour Body: Tim Ferriss (excerpt):
Tim Ferriss says that by following the diet outlined in The 4-Hour Body you can lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days. The eating plan is described as the “Slow-Carb Diet” and basically involves the intake of lean proteins, legumes and green vegetables.
Five simple rules are presented for dieters who are looking to reduce their level of body fat.
- Avoid “white” carbohydrates. The following foods are to be avoided with the exception of up to 30 minutes after a strength workout: bread, rice (including brown), cereal, potatoes, pasta, tortillas, and fried food with breading.
- Eat the same meals over and over again. According to Ferriss the most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat-loss, have limited variety in their meals. You can eat as much as you like but you should restrict yourself to three or four meals and repeat them.
- Don’t drink calories. Milk, soft drinks and fruit juice should be avoided. With the exception of red wine, alcohol consumption is not permitted.
- Don’t eat fruit. Says Ferriss, “Humans don’t need fruit six days a week, and they certainly don’t need it year-round. 4-Hour Body says if your ancestors were from Europe, for example, how much fruit did they eat in the winter 500 years ago?”
- Take one day off per week and go nuts. Dramatically increasing your calorie intake once a week increases fat loss by preventing the metabolic slowdown that often occurs with long-term calorie restricted diets.
In addition to dietary recommendations the 4-Hour Body includes information about a range of subjects related to the body. Tim Ferriss suggests that you don’t read the 4-Hour Body from start to finish but instead pick the chapters that interest you and select just one appearance goal and one performance goal to start.
Egg whites, chicken, grass-fed organic beef, pork, fish, lentils, black beans, pinto beans, red beans, soybeans, spinach, asparagus, peas, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, sauerkraut, tomatoes, avocados, red wine.
Sample 4-Hour Body Meal Plan
Scrambled egg whites with one whole egg
Chicken thigh, black beans and mixed vegetables
Grass-fed organic beef, lentils and mixed vegetables